Last Updated on May 13, 2023
Axolotls are adorable, unique creatures that have captured the hearts of many. If you love these little amphibians, why not create an easy axolotl sewing pattern to bring them to life in a new way?
The axolotl is a fascinating creature that has captured the hearts of many with its cute and quirky appearance. And now, you can bring the axolotl to life through your sewing skills.
Axolotl Sewing Pattern
The axolotl sewing pattern is a fun and creative way to add some personality to your sewing projects. Whether you’re a seasoned seamstress or just starting, this pattern is perfect for anyone looking to try something new. Here, we’ll explore the world of axolotl sewing patterns and show you how to create your adorable axolotl plushie.
This step-by-step guide will teach you how to create an axolotl sewing pattern, perfect for making your cuddly plush toy or decorative pillow.
You will need:
|Main body fabric||1/4 yd.|
|Accent fabric for gills||1/8 yd. or 3 different colors|
|Accent applique fabric for eyes||3″ x 3″|
|Applique fabric for mouth||1″ x 2″|
|Applique fabric for eye shines||2″ x 2″|
|Light or heavy duty fusible web||5″ x 5″|
|Sewing thread to match fabrics||Varies by project|
|Poly-fil stuffing||As needed|
|Basic sewing tools (sewing machine, scissors, etc.)||As needed|
How to Sew With Axolotl Sewing Pattern
Get ready to create an adorable axolotl plush with this easy-to-follow sewing pattern. This charming plush is designed in a sweet laying pose, making the face and tail highly visible.
Step 1: Gather Your Materials
To get stated, make sure you have the following materials on hand:
- ¼ yd. of fabric for the main body
- ⅛ yd. of accent fabric for gills (or use 3 different colored fabrics)
- 3” x 3” piece of accent applique fabric (felt, cotton, etc.) for eyes
- 1” x 2” piece of applique fabric for the mouth
- 2” x 2” piece of applique fabric for eye shines
- 5” x 5” piece of light or heavy-duty fusible web
- Sewing thread to match the main fabric and applique fabrics
- Poly-fil stuffing
- Basic sewing tools (sewing machine, scissors, iron, needles, pins, fabric marker, seam ripper)
Step 2: Cut Out the Pattern Pieces
Using the provided templates, cut out the following pieces from your fabrics:
- Main body pieces (2): cut from the main fabric
- Gills (6-12): cut from the accent fabric(s) based on your preferred gill style (flower petal or curved)
- Eyes (2): cut from the accent applique fabric
- Mouth (1): cut from the applique fabric
- Eye shines (2): cut from the applique fabric
Step 3: Assemble the Face
- Following the pattern markings, position the eyes, mouth, and eye shines on one of the main body pieces.
- Use fusible web to attach the applique pieces to the main body fabric by ironing them in place.
- Secure the applique pieces by stitching around the edges with matching thread.
Step 4: Attach the Gills
- Take your gill pieces and fold them in half with the right sides together.
- Sew along the curved edge, leaving the straight edge open.
- Turn the gills right side out, and press them flat.
- Place the gills between the main body pieces, with the open ends aligned with the raw edges of the main body.
- Pin the gills in place, making sure they’re evenly spaced.
Step 5: Sew the Main Body
- Place the two main body pieces right sides together, with the gills sandwiched in between.
- Sew around the edges, leaving a gap for turning and stuffing. Be sure to backstitch at the beginning and end of the seam.
- Trim the seam allowance, and clip any curves or corners.
- Turn the axolotl right side out, gently pushing out the corners and edges.
Step 6: Stuff and Close the Axolotl
- Stuff the axolotl with poly-fil until it reaches your desired level of firmness.
- Hand-stitch the opening closed using a ladder stitch or whip stitch.
Step 7: Add the Final Touches
- Press the plush lightly with an iron to smooth out any wrinkles or uneven areas.
- Optional: Add extra details or embellishments, such as ribbons or beads, to personalize your axolotl plush.
Download Free PDF
In conclusion, if you’re looking for a unique and adorable sewing project, than download the axolotl sewing pattern. Not only will you end up with a cute and cuddly plushie, but you’ll also learn new sewing techniques and have fun along the way. So grab your materials and get stitching – your axolotl friend is waiting for you!
I Like to write and read on fashion, may be that’s why “Fashion says “me too” style says “only me”