Last Updated on December 31, 2023
When it comes to fabric crafts and DIY projects, having the right adhesive can make all the difference in ensuring a strong and lasting bond. Whether you’re working on sewing, embellishing, or repairing fabrics, having a reliable fabric glue is essential.
What is fabric glue used for in clothes?
Fabric glue is specifically formulated to bond fabrics, making it a valuable tool for various applications in clothing and textiles. It securely attaches fabrics together, providing a quick and flexible alternative to traditional sewing.
Fabric glue is commonly employed for repairing clothes, attaching embellishments, hemming, and even creating no-sew projects. It’s versatility and ability to work with various fabrics, including stretchy materials, make it a convenient solution for fabric-related tasks in clothing.
5 best fabric glue Review
- Tear Mender Instant Fabric and Leather Adhesive: Fast, durable bond for fabrics and leather, Waterproof and UV-resistant for outdoor use. (Read Review)
- Beacon Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive: Pro-grade bond without heat, Ideal for delicate fabrics and costumes. (Read Review)
- Gorilla Waterproof Fabric Glue: Strong adhesive for gems and rhinestones, Washer-safe and works on various fabrics. (Read Review)
- Secure Stitch Liquid Sewing Solution Kit: Quick-dry bonding for diverse fabrics, Includes accessories for easy application.(Read Review)
- Aleene’s Platinum Bond Adhesive Super Fabric: Industrial-strength, washable fabric bond, Customizable tip for controlled application. (Read Review)
Here, we’ll explore some of the best fabric glues available to help you find the perfect adhesive for your creative endeavors.
1. Tear Mender Instant Fabric and Leather Adhesive
|Instant Durable Bond
|Adhesive dries quickly, forming a flexible and usable/wearable bond within 3 minutes. It’s also washable in just 15 minutes.
|Durable Household Repairs
|Creates a long-lasting and permanent bond on fabric and leather, offering waterproof, flexible, and UV-resistant results.
|Crafted with natural latex, the glue is both acid-free and non-toxic, making it safe for various applications.
|Quick and Easy Repairs with Permanent Results
|Requires no heat, ironing, or solvents for curing, ensuring quick and hassle-free repairs with reliable and lasting outcomes.
|Cold Temperature Sensitivity
|The product’s effectiveness may decrease in extreme cold temperatures.
|Should be stored in room temperature or warmer environments to maintain its quality and usability.
|Opened Product Storage
|Once opened, avoid storing the adhesive in cold temperatures to prevent deterioration.
Tear Mender’s Instant Fabric and Leather Adhesive has stood the test of time, earning its popularity for over 80 years. This non-toxic, acid-free, and water-based formula made of natural latex creates a durable, flexible, and permanent bond in just three minutes.
One of its outstanding features is allowing a newly glued fabric to be washed in as little as 15 minutes. It’s also waterproof and UV resistant, making it a versatile choice for both indoor and outdoor fabric projects, including upholstery, clothing, leather items, and home decor.
2. Beacon Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive
|Darice aims to earn trust by following traditional business practices.
|Darice is dedicated to providing customers with the lowest prices for its wide range of products.
|All products are manufactured in the United States.
Beacon’s Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive is a professional-grade product trusted by fashion designers and costume creators. Known for its crystal-clear and durable bond, this adhesive doesn’t require heat to set.
It’s acid-free, washable, and lightweight, making it ideal for delicate fabrics like lace and leather. It’s also suitable for use on wood, glass, and trims, making it a versatile option for various crafting projects.
The small, convenient four-ounce application bottle is perfect for last-minute fixes and intricate crafting.
3. Gorilla Waterproof Fabric Glue
|Provides a fast setting, permanent bond that remains flexible after washing.
|Dries crystal clear, suitable for various surfaces; an alternative to traditional sewing.
|Washer and Dryer Safe
|Adhesive is safe to be washed and dried without compromising the bond.
|Specifically formulated to bond fabric and hard-to-hold embellishments.
|Works Great On
|Suitable for fabric, felt, denim, canvas, buttons, rhinestones, ribbon, and more.
Gorilla’s Waterproof Fabric Glue is specifically designed for projects that require a strong bond with hard-to-hold materials like gems and rhinestones. This adhesive has high-strength properties and is perfect for adhering embellishments to fabrics like tulle.
It’s waterproof and can be used on various fabrics such as felt, denim, canvas, ribbon, and more. This adhesive is washer and dryer safe, ensuring that your projects remain intact even after washing.
4. Secure Stitch Liquid Sewing Solution Kit
|Mends, alters, hems, and embellishes fabrics
|4oz. Fabric Solution and 2oz. All Fabric Solution
|Can be safely washed after bonding
|Bonds fabric quickly for efficient project completion
|Dries clear, leaving no visible residue or marks
The Secure Stitch Liquid Sewing Solution Kit offers a versatile fabric repair and alteration solution. This kit includes two quick-drying permanent fabric bonding solutions, each designed for different fabric types.
Whether you’re working with denim, leather, nylon, or polyester, there’s a formula that suits your needs. The kit also has a silicone applicator for precise application, custom hem-measuring clips, and more.
5. Aleene’s Platinum Bond Adhesive Super Fabric
|Super-strong hold for heavy-duty embellishments
|Provides a powerful bond for sturdy adornments onto fabric
|Ensures the glue doesn’t stiffen the fabric and retains its flexibility
|Dries clear; Non yellowing
|Leaves no visible traces and won’t discolor over time
|Creates a long-lasting and durable bond
|Can withstand machine washing after 72 hours of application
Aleene’s Platinum Bond Adhesive Super Fabric is an industrial-strength glue that creates permanent machine-washable bonds on various fabrics, including leather, vinyl, polyester blends, denim, satin, and more.
Its quick-drying formula ensures a clear and durable bond that can be washed 72 hours after application. This adhesive also features a customizable tip, allowing you to control the glue flow based on your project’s requirements.
How to Use Fabric Glue?
If you’re ready to use heat set glue for your fabric projects, follow these simple steps to ensure success:
Steps to Follow:
- Prepare: Gather your materials and review the glue’s instructions on the packaging.
- Prep Fabric: If needed, wash and dry the fabric before applying the glue.
- Apply Glue: Shake the glue and apply a thin, even layer on the fabric. Don’t overdo it.
- Set with Heat: Place the fabric between press cloth layers and press with an iron for 60 seconds.
- Check and Lift: After 60 seconds, lift the cloth and ensure the fabric adheres well.
- Adjust Heat: Use a higher heat setting on the iron or press for thicker fabrics.
- Repeat Layers: If working with multiple fabric layers, repeat steps 3 to 5 for each.
- Avoid Overheating: Stick to 60 seconds to prevent damaging the fabric or glue.
- Cool Down: Allow the fabric to cool before proceeding with your project.
Tips and Notes for using fabric glue
- Always follow the instructions on the glue packaging for best results.
- Use a muslin cover for your ironing board to protect it from glue and dye.
- Apply the glue evenly and avoid over-applying to prevent clumping.
- Use a heat-resistant press cloth to distribute heat and prevent crunchy finishes evenly.
- Adjust the heat setting based on the fabric’s thickness and the recommendations on the glue packaging.
- Heat set glue works well for medium to heavy fabrics but may not be suitable for thin or sheer fabrics.
- Avoid stitching over the glued area to prevent gunking up your sewing machine.
Is fabric glue permanent?
Yes, fabric glue can be permanent or temporary, depending on the formula. Some fabric glues create a permanent bond between fabrics, while others offer a temporary hold. It’s a versatile adhesive that can attach fabric to fabric or add embellishments like trims and beads without sewing.
Is fabric glue washable?
Yes, fabric glue is washable. After allowing it to dry for a minimum of 48 hours, the glued fabric can be safely washed.
Does fabric glue dry hard?
No, fabric glue does not necessarily dry hard. Flexible fabric glues maintain their softness and flexibility after drying, making them comfortable to wear. Glues that dry hard can lead to rigid and scratchy fabric, which is less comfortable for clothing projects.
Does fabric glue turn yellow?
No, high-quality fabric glues like Aleene’s are formulated to dry clear and will not turn yellow over time. As long as the glue flows smoothly from the bottle without clumps or stringiness, it remains effective for creating a lasting bond. Under ideal conditions, fabric glues can maintain their adhesive strength indefinitely.
Does fabric glue leave stains?
Yes, fabric glue can sometimes leave stains and residue on fabrics. However, there are methods to remove it. One approach is to freeze the fabric by placing it in the freezer overnight, which can help to remove the glue more easily.
When choosing the best fabric glue for your projects, consider the type of fabric you’ll be working with, the strength of the bond you need, and whether the adhesive is suitable for indoor and outdoor use.
The glues mentioned above offer a range of options to cater to different crafting needs, ensuring that your fabric projects remain secure, durable, and visually appealing. Whether you’re a seasoned crafter or a DIY enthusiast, having a reliable fabric glue in your toolkit is a must for achieving professional-quality results.