Last Updated on March 19, 2023
Know Some Common Questions on Sewing: Have you ever wanted to try DIY sewing? But need some help figuring out how to get started? Sewing is an excellent pastime with many benefits, from increased creativity and self-fulfillment to creating custom clothes from scratch or basic alteration and mending. However, it’s important to know the basics of sewing before taking on a project!
Whether you’re thinking of starting sewing or you are a beginner, there are some Common Questions on Sewing that my reader has asked me a lot. Knowing these 10 common questions on sewing will help you start this journey safely and efficiently.
What Are the Top 10 Common Questions on Sewing?
It is important to recognize that even experienced sewers have signature questions they may have been asked when working on projects. Here, I will find out and answer some of the most common questions on sewing sewers and provide helpful tips and advice on how these issues can be addressed.
Bellow we will try to answer,
|1. Is it possible to learn how to sew at home?
2. Should I take a sewing course?
3. Is it possible to learn sewing from YouTube?
4. Can I still be successful if I have no talent for sewing?
5. Where can I find sewing patterns?
6. Where to buy Sewing materials and what to buy?
7. What do I need to buy for sewing?
8. What should I start with when sewing?
9. What Sewing Machine is Good for Beginners?
10. Is sewing a good way to make money?
1. Is It Possible to Learn How to Sew at Home?
Yes, it is possible to learn how to sew at home. But, Can sewing be self-taught at home? Of course, cutting and sewing can be learned at home. But it would help if you understood that this path is longer and requires much attention and patience.
If you want to learn or control your new machine pet, start with something as simple as an apron or pillowcase, and stock up on good learning resources.
To begin, if you are wondering how can I learn stitching at home, books and magazines are great resources. However, video tutorials are the best resource for finding comprehensive information. It can always be found easily and is also quite convenient to utilize. The desired outcome will undoubtedly come if you follow some tutorials with thorough directions and begin stitching.
2. Should I Take a Sewing Course?
Still thinking, are sewing lessons worth it? Actually, It can be worthy to go for the courses in the following cases:
- You still need to learn how to do it, haven’t tried sewing, and are not sure that you can, but you really want to try.
- You want to master on sewing machine, but you don’t have it at home yet.
- You want to get basic skills faster than you can by practicing on your own at home.
- You know that you want to study in a particular section, such as tailoring menswear, but will make as few novice mistakes as possible.
- You plan to make money on sewing in the future, so you need a professional training.
Most often, courses save personal time. What you pass in the classroom will take longer to study on your own. Because most of the time, you will search for the necessary and understandable information. Answering questions and correcting mistakes with many practical repetitions courses are worthwhile.
3. Is It Possible to Learn Sewing From YouTube?
Absolutely! YouTube is an amazing resource for learning anything from the basics of sewing to advanced techniques. With hundreds of free tutorial videos and step-by-step guides, you can easily learn how to sew your own clothes, home decor, accessories, or any other project you’d like. It’s a great way to gain knowledge at your own pace while having fun.
In any case, if you don’t know whether you need sewing courses, go to a short master class on YouTube. It can last, for example, 3-4 hours. And during this time, you can do one lesson, such as sewing a skirt.
You can test out this training method for this lesson to see whether it works for you. And you will only spend a little money. If you like the lesson, the teacher, and the atmosphere in the classroom, it is worth investing in a longer and more thorough course.
Video: Beginners Sewing Course
I am excited to share a comprehensive tutorial playlist by “Made to Sew,” designed specifically for beginners. This well-crafted course will guide you through the fundamentals, including threading a sewing machine, winding a bobbin, and understanding the appropriate needle and thread for your projects.
Throughout the series, Made to Sew’s expert instructor will use a Husqvarna Viking Emerald 116 sewing machine, providing clear and concise instructions to help you gain confidence in your newfound sewing skills. Whether you’re looking to take up sewing as a hobby or aiming to create your own clothing and accessories, this beginner course is the perfect starting point. Take advantage of this opportunity to embark on a creative journey with Made to Sew!
4. Can I Still Be Successful if I Have No Talent for Sewing?
Someone may say, “I have no talent,” “if I had your abilities, I would also sew,” and so on. Really? Sewing is not a talent but simply a matter of practice and experience.
The more you sew, the more you try, and the better you will be at this business. You’ll quickly figure out which combinations of materials are right, which cuts are great, and which ones don’t suit you.
Talent and ability have nothing to do with it at all. All you need is passion and patience. Perseverance matters the most. Particularly in the beginning, when you are still learning, and only a few things work out. Many people give up trying to learn precisely because of a lack of passion and patience and not because of a lack of sewing ability.
If you have a question like “How do I start to practice sewing?” Then you should follow these 5 steps to start:
- Step 1: Go for the basic theory. Reading sewing materials will give you a clear understanding of the topic. And don’t think it’s a waste of time. Basic theoretical knowledge is useful. With the knowledge of the characteristics and materials, buying which fabrics are suitable for sewing will be easier.
- Step 2: If you already have a sewing machine, go to step 3. If not, consider whether you can borrow a machine from your relatives or friends. Take your time to buy your own sewing machine if you still need to decide if you will sew.
- Step 3. Go to the bookstore, buy a sewing magazine (try to find a sewing material for beginners), and then reach inside the theory again: how to read patterns and what to do with them. You can do without a magazine; find any sewing pattern online. But you must learn how to transfer it to paper for further work. Don’t think about size in the beginning. Practice on ready-made patterns. Any simple things or any children’s shorts. Or a topic for yourself. Or an apron.
- STEP 4: Buying some fleece fabric and creating a cap or neck warmer would be a fantastic way to begin. Never attempt to learn a difficult skill on your own right away. If you don’t get it right quickly, you’re more likely to get frustrated and not get any further than that. Everything has its time!
- Step 5. Choose something simple from Burda (Full Line Drawings) and try to sew. Take your time. Read the instructions and descriptions carefully. See diagrams. You will succeed!
5. Where Can I Find Sewing Patterns?
As I mentioned earlier, patterns are easily available at any sewing store. Yes, they are still online! A huge selection of popular sewing magazines can be found online. CrossStitcher is a popular magazine where you can find patterns of all sizes. And often, also, special editions, such as sewing for children. The most versatile and accurate magazine with patterns for women.
In addition, there are many sites where you can download ready-made patterns. Some (especially fairly simple ones) can be obtained for free. And it’s more intricate and more difficult to buy online.
For more advanced seamstresses who already know how to transfer a pattern and draw it to the desired size, there are a lot of materials on the Internet in the form of PDF files.
6. Where to Buy Sewing Fabrics?
Many offline and online stores are now selling a wide range of fabrics. Many of them give big discounts on leftover fabrics. From these leftovers, it is quite possible to sew small interesting things.
In online stores, and I often buy it there, prices are cheaper. The main thing is to look at customer reviews or already know what kind of fabric to buy.
To do this, I advise you to visit still several stores in your city and examine and touch different fabrics with your hands. Learn about them and their characteristics as much as possible and in more detail.
What is more important is that each fabric must be treated with moisture before working because nothing is worse than when a sewn thing shrinks after the first wash.
7. What Do I Need for Sewing?
You will need various tools, without which it is difficult to cut and sew with high quality.
- Tailor’s scissors: This is something that cannot be compromised. Good tailor’s scissors are the key to proper cutting;
- Measuring tools & Rulers: It’s necessary to take measurements and work with patterns on paper.
- Set of needles for sewing by hand: You will have to do some manual work one way or another, and you will need different needles for different types of fabric.
- Various haberdashery: Pins, a pincushion (which you can sew yourself at first), tailor’s chalk (some people still use a bar of soap), and a magnet to find all the little metal if it falls on the floor.
8. What Should I Start With When Sewing?
If you dont know, What is the easiest garment to sew for beginners? Start with the simplest things like kitchen potholders or aprons. If this is not close to you, then try sewing a hat or a tube scarf around your neck from fleece.
Do not rush to do this from knitwear; it will require more than basic knowledge.
Sew a light T-shirt and then a skirt or sports sweatshirt. Go for everything that can be sewn almost “in a straight line” from reliable fabric without complex detailed designs.
9. What Types of Sewing Machine is Good for Beginners?
You don’t need to buy an expensive or heavy-duty machine for a starter. You can learn basic things almost anywhere.
You can borrow a small portable machine from a friend or relative at first. And then, when you realize that you want to continue doing this, or you understand that you want to start earning money by sewing, choose a suitable modern machine.
|In Addition – Find Your Top Serger Sewing Machine For Beginners
10. Is Sewing a Good Way to Make Money?
Some people want to know, “Is sewing a good business?” or “is it a good way to make money?” In this matter, I will say not everything is so clear and easy.
In my opinion, it’s beneficial, especially when it comes to sewing children’s clothing, which is a common issue for children and requires updating their clothes size.
Calculate how much you will pay for a casual t-shirt on a New one and how much it will cost you if you buy the right amount of the right fabric.
Count the time you spend on it. However, some will find it easier to buy. But what if you look at some points? Sewing yourself can be more profitable than buying clothes and altering them if you have:
- Not a standard figure;
- No desire to overpay for the brand;
- You want to wear original things that you can’t buy anywhere else.
That is all that I wanted to tell you in this post today. Perhaps you still have questions. You can ask them in the comments below. And I will gladly answer them. All the best to your creative mood, and good luck with this amazing activity!