Last Updated on January 16, 2024
Hello, quilting lovers! I’m Teresia from The Sewing Stuffs, and today, I’m thrilled to share my top 23 free charm pack quilt patterns with you. Charm packs, those delightful five-inch squares, are not only cost-effective but also provide endless possibilities for creating stunning quilts.
So, without further ado, let’s dive into quilting magic with these charming patterns!
- Explore a range of charming quilt designs, including “Knot Today” and “Rockin’ Around,” each with its unique aesthetic and size.
- Discover the beauty of fabric collections like Camille for Moda, Layla Boutique’s Lollipop Garden, and others, adding a delightful touch to your quilting projects.
- Embrace patterns like “Threadbare” and “Iconic 2,” designed for minimal fabric waste, allowing creative freedom in choosing bindings and backings.
- From smaller projects like “Building Blocks” to larger quilts like “Kindred,” find patterns catering to various sizes, ensuring there’s something for every quilting enthusiast.
- Explore various quilting techniques, ranging from classic blocks like the Half Square Triangle to unique challenges like the Cathedral Window, which offer limitless opportunities for creativity and skill development.
Additional Resource – Free Quilt Patterns Using 5 Inch Squares
1. Knot Today by It’s Sew Emma
- Designed by It’s Sew Emma, “Knot Today” features a clean and chic aesthetic.
- Requires three charm packs or 89 five-inch squares.
- Utilizes light-hearted fabrics by Camille for Moda, with a cross-weave graphite background.
- Finished size is 53 by 68 inches, showcasing a delightful combination of colors.
Our first quilt, “Knot Today,” designed by It’s Sew Emma, is a beauty that uses three charm packs or 89 five-inch squares. With a finished size of 53 by 68 inches, we chose light-hearted fabrics by Camille for Moda, featuring cross-weave graphite and a white binding for a clean and chic look.
2. Rockin’ Around by It’s Sew Emma
- A seasonal delight, “Rockin’ Around” is a 48 by 48-inch quilt using one charm pack.
- Showcases Beyond Bella and Coriander Seeds background for a festive look.
- Perfect for adding a touch of holiday spirit to your home decor.
Next is “Rockin’ Around” by It’s Sew Emma, a seasonal 48 by 48-inch quilt with one charm pack. This quilt features a Beyond Bella and Coriander Seeds background, which is perfect for adding a touch of festivity to your home.
3. Threadbare by Thimble Blossom
- Designed by Camille Roskelley, “Threadbare” is a masterpiece finishing at 76 by 76 inches.
- Utilizes two charm packs of Sunny Side by Camille, minimizing fabric waste.
- Offers creative freedom with binding and backing choices due to minimal waste.
Measuring 76 by 76 inches, “Threadbare” is a masterwork designed by Camille Roskelley of Thimble Blossom. Using two charm packs of Sunny Side by Camille, this quilt minimizes waste, allowing you to have fun with your binding and backing choices.
4. Diamond Dust by Vanessa Gertson
- A 75-inch square quilt, “Diamond Dust” by Vanessa Gertson uses two charm packs.
- Features the Lollipop Garden collection by Layla Boutique.
- Unique charm pack cutting creates a distinct and eye-catching design.
Vanessa Gertson’s “Diamond Dust” is a 75-inch square quilt that utilizes two charm packs, featuring the Lollipop Garden collection by Layla Boutique. This pattern uniquely cuts up your charm pack into smaller pieces for a distinct, eye-catching design.
5. Iconic 2 by Vanessa Gertson
- “Iconic 2” measures 62 by 72 inches and uses four charm packs or 132 five-inch squares.
- Showcases the Old Glory collection by Layla Boutique.
- Allows for creativity with accent prints for a personalized touch.
“Iconic 2” by Vanessa Gertson is a 62 by 72-inch quilt with four charm packs or 132 five-inch squares. Highlighting the Old Glory collection, this quilt allows you to play with accent prints for a personalized touch.
6. Sunshine and Daisies by Flamingo Toes
- Perfect for spring, this quilt by Bev Mccola is 60 by 76 inches with a bonus table runner size.
- Utilizes three five-inch stackers and various fabrics for a cheerful design.
- Bev designed both the fabric and the pattern for a unique touch.
Bev Mccola of Flamingo Toes’ quilt “Sunshine and Daisies” is 60 by 76 inches and includes an additional table runner size, making it ideal for springtime. Using three five-inch stackers and various fabrics, this cheerful quilt is a true delight.
7. Happy Spools by Sherry McConnell
- “Happy Spools” features two spool sizes and uses one charm pack, perfect for scraps.
- Comes in sizes of 50 by 50 inches and 23 inches square.
- Showcases the Bountiful Blooms collection by Sherry and Chelsea for Moda Fabrics.
Sherry McConnell’s “Happy Spools” features two spool sizes and uses one charm pack, offering a fantastic opportunity to use up your scraps. With sizes of 50 by 50 inches and 23 inches square, this quilt showcases the Bountiful Blooms collection by Sherry and Chelsea for Moda Fabrics.
8. Barn Star 2 by Corey Yoder
- A cute 40-inch square quilt, “Barn Star 2” uses two charm packs and features The Sunny Side Up collection.
- The star pattern and charming border make this quilt a standout piece.
Corey Yoder’s “Barn Star 2” is a cute 40-inch square quilt that utilizes two charm packs and showcases The Sunny Side Up collection. The star pattern and charming border make this quilt a standout piece.
9. Kindred by Corey Yoder
- “Kindred” is a larger quilt at 76 by 88 inches, using one charm pack from the Sun Drops collection.
- Features the fun Bella solid pistachio color for added vibrancy.
- A scrap-friendly pattern that is both easy and visually appealing.
Another gem by Corey Yoder, “Kindred,” is a larger quilt at 76 by 88 inches, using one charm pack from the Sun Drops collection. The Bella solid pistachio color adds a pop of vibrancy to this easy and scrap-friendly pattern.
10. Building Blocks by April Rosenthal
- The smallest on the list, “Building Blocks” is a 39-inch square quilt using two charm packs.
- Showcases April Rosenthal’s creativity with the Berry Basket collection.
- An easy-to-assemble quilt with a variety of backgrounds, perfect for a quick and enjoyable project.
Saving the smallest for last, “Building Blocks” by April Rosenthal is a 39-inch square quilt that uses two charm packs. With a variety of backgrounds, this quilt is easy to assemble and showcases April’s creativity with the Berry Basket collection.
11. Disappearing Nine Patch
- Join nine 5-inch squares and strategically cut for a visually stunning patchwork.
- Preserve center squares while transforming others for endless rearrangement options.
The disappearing nine-patch block. You create a visually stunning patchwork by joining nine 5-inch squares and cleverly cutting them.
The center squares remain intact, while the others transform into smaller pieces, offering endless possibilities for rearrangement. Experiment with different layouts to achieve your desired look.
12. Magic Four Patch
- Create a magical design by cutting and rearranging four squares.
- Seamlessly blend larger and smaller squares for a versatile and charming quilt block.
The magic four patch is next, a block that lives up to its name. You’ll create a design that seamlessly blends larger and smaller squares by strategically cutting and rearranging four squares. The versatility of this block allows you to play with colors and patterns, resulting in a charming and magical quilt.
13. Half Square Rectangle
- Pair two 5-inch squares and sew a quarter-inch seam on either side.
- Explore design options with the unique shape of half square rectangles.
- Experiment with light and dark fabrics or add a highlight strip for added flair.
The half-square rectangles by pairing two 5-inch squares and sewing a quarter-inch seam on either side. With its unique shape, the resulting block opens the door to various design options. Experiment with light and dark fabrics or introduce a highlight strip for added flair. The possibilities are as vast as your creativity.
14. Half Square Triangle
- Master the art of half square triangles by sewing and cutting along a diagonal line.
- Press and trim for perfectly crafted triangles with endless color combinations.
Master the art of half-square triangles by sewing a diagonal line on paired squares and cutting along it. Press and trim to perfection, revealing beautifully crafted triangles ready for your quilting masterpiece. This classic block provides a timeless charm and endless color combinations.
- Combine two half square triangles to create an elegant hourglass block.
- Experiment with layout variations for a visually stunning display.
- Add sophistication to your project with this timeless block.
Create an elegant hourglass block by combining two half-square triangles. The careful arrangement of contrasting colors produces a mesmerizing effect. Experiment with layout variations to achieve a stunning visual display in your quilt. The hourglass block adds a touch of sophistication to any project.
16. Cathedral Window
- Challenge yourself with the cathedral window block for a visually rewarding outcome.
- Fold and sew squares in a specific manner to mimic cathedral window architecture.
- Experiment with pressing techniques for unique shapes and effects.
Rhe cathedral window block, offering a bit of a challenge but promising a visually rewarding outcome. By folding and sewing squares specifically, you create a block that mimics the architectural beauty of cathedral windows.
Experiment with pressing techniques to achieve different shapes and effects, adding a unique dimension to your quilt.
17. Beach Day Quilt
- Uses Summer Suite fabrics.
- Combines charm packs and jelly rolls.
- Simple block design for easy assembly.
- Adaptable for downsizing into a baby quilt.
Another charm pack journey with the stunning “Beach Day Quilt.” This delightful project, made with vibrant Summer Suite fabrics, combines charm packs and jelly rolls to create a visually appealing quilt.
The simplicity of the blocks and the option to size it down for a baby quilt make it a fast and fun project, perfect for using those charm squares you’ve been saving.
18. Aubrey Tote Bag
- Utilizes Creekside fabrics for a stylish look.
- Charm pack forms the foundation of the bag.
- Includes a template for tracing tumbler shapes.
- Incorporates soft and stable for a well-shaped bag.
- Coordinating fabric for borders and handles.
Another gem in charm pack projects is the “Aubrey Tote Bag.” Crafted from a charm pack and featuring a tumbler shape template, this tote bag is stylish and functional. The soft and stable use adds a wonderful structure to the bag.
With a just right size and the flexibility to choose coordinating fabrics for borders and handles, it’s a go-to project for charm pack lovers.
19. Simply Charming Table Runner
- Square topper and rectangle runner made from a single charm pack.
- Straight setting for the topper, making it beginner-friendly.
- Diagonal setting for the runner adds flair.
- Provides an easy way to have a coordinating set for the table.
The “Simply Charming Table Runner” is an excellent choice for those looking to add charm to their dining spaces. Utilizing a charm pack, this pattern creates a square topper and a rectangular runner.
The straight setting for the topper and the diagonal setting for the runner add variety, and the best part is that one charm pack can yield both projects. A perfect way to effortlessly coordinate your table linens!
20. Moda All Stars Book – Lucky Charm Quilts
- Book comprises 17 patterns exclusively using charm squares.
- Includes a variety of projects such as table toppers, runners, and wall hangings.
- Designed for quick finishes and showcases charm pack collections.
- A great resource for those seeking efficient and delightful projects.
If you’re looking for a treasure trove of charm square patterns, the “Moda All-Stars Book: Lucky Charm Quilts” is a must-have. Featuring 17 patterns exclusively designed for charm squares, this book offers a range of delightful projects, including table toppers, runners, and wall hangings.
Perfect for those moments when you crave quick finishes with the charm packs you already have in hand.
21. Marmalade Falling Charms
This Marmalade Falling Charms quilt marks my third creation using Moda’s delightful Marmalade fabric collection, designed by Bonnie and Camille.
White Kona helps balance the saturated colors on the yellow back, while the decorative wavy stitch, a favorite on my Janome Skyline S5, adds a charming touch.
Employing materials like “Buttercup” Minky and Aurifil’s variegated “Lemon Ice” 50wt. Thread contributes to the quilt’s overall appeal. Keeping dimensions within 60″ wide and a maximum of 76″ long with batting ensures a manageable weight for minky lap quilts, and with 2 1/4 yards of minky for the back, it’s both practical and easy to care for with machine wash and dry capabilities.
22. Flashback Friday
Flashback Friday charm pack quilt patterns bring joy to those seeking a quick and easy weekend sewing project.
Chef Polly Monica from Aunt Polly’s Porch introduces the delightful Four Squared Quilt, a sweet and sassy creation that combines a jelly roll, charm pack, and a touch of yardage to yield a generously sized lap quilt.
For a fresh twist, swap out three printed jelly roll strips with white ones to give the quilt a whole new, vibrant look. The showcased fabric in this project is Basic Grey’s latest offering, Fresh Cut, adding an extra layer of charm to the delightful sewing experience.
23. Charming Lucy Free Charm Quilt Pattern
Explore the charm of Flashback Friday with “Charming Lucy,” a delightful free quilt pattern by Andy from A Bright Corner. This month brings a revisit to the pattern, showcasing a fresh twist using a charm pack of Lulu Lane, designed by Corey Yoder for Moda Fabrics.
Requiring only one charm pack and a yard of background fabric, this charming creation, finishing at 35″ x 35″, serves as a perfect baby gift. However, its versatility shines as a friend turned it into a festive Christmas table topper.
Discover the pattern and unleash your creativity with Lulu Lane’s captivating fabrics – available for personal use only.
So, grab your charm square pack from these 23 free charm pack quilt patterns, let your creativity run wild, and turn these blocks into a quilt that truly reflects your unique style. Remember, the joy is in the process, and the end result will be a quilt that radiates charm and warmth.
I Like to write and read on fashion, may be that’s why “Fashion says “me too” style says “only me”