Last Updated on July 31, 2023
Learn “How to Do Sublimation on a Hat”: Welcome back to TheSewingStuffs! If you’re new here, I’m Tersia Jager, and today I have a fun and exciting project for you.
We’re going to learn how to sublimate on a hat using a hat press. This technique allows you to transfer vibrant designs onto a polyester hat, creating a personalized and eye-catching accessory.
Can you do sublimation on hats?
Yes, you can sublimate on hats, particularly on polyester hats that are specifically designed for sublimation. The sublimation process involves transferring ink from a printed design to the polyester fabric using heat and pressure. The heat causes the ink to turn into a gas, which then permeates the polyester fibers, resulting in a vibrant and durable design.
|In Addition – A list of the Best Sewing Machine for Hat Patches may be helpful to you.
How to do sublimation on a hat? – Full Process
Here, I’ll guide you through the process and share some helpful tips to ensure your sublimation project turns out beautifully.
Before we dive into the sublimation process, let’s gather all the necessary supplies:
- Polyester hat – Make sure the hat is designed for sublimation to achieve the best results.
- Sublimation design – Crystal demonstrates a bright and vibrant design that will be transferred onto the hat.
- Hat press – Crystal uses an auto hat press, but any suitable hat press will work.
- Ruler – For measuring and sizing the design.
- Parchment paper – To protect the platen during sublimation.
- Lint remover – To ensure the hat is clean and ready for sublimation.
Preparing the Cap
- Remove lint: Just like with sublimating on a T-shirt, ensure the hat is free from lint by using a lint remover tool.
- Pre-press: Pre-heat the lower platen to around 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 60 seconds. Place the hat on the platen to pre-press, creating an even and smooth surface.
- Remove any cardboard: Take out any cardboard or stiff material inside the hat to ensure even heat distribution during sublimation.
Aligning the Design
- Let the hat cool slightly: Before placing the sublimation design, allow the hat to cool a bit to prevent ghosting.
- Position the design: Carefully align the sublimation design on the hat. Crystal uses a super cute file for this project.
- Pressing the Hat: Once the design is aligned, cover it with a piece of parchment paper to protect the platen. Press the hat using the hat press at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 60 seconds.
- Removing the Design: After the sublimation process is complete, carefully peel off the transfer paper to reveal the bright and vibrant design on the hat.
Adding Extra Touches
- Sublimating the Bill: Crystal suggests that you can sublimate on the bill of the hat as well. By carefully positioning the bill on the platen, you can create additional designs or patterns to make your hat even more unique.
Sublimating on a hat using a hat press is a fantastic way to create personalized and eye-catching accessories. With a polyester hat and the right equipment, you can transfer vibrant designs onto your favorite headwear.
Thanks to Crystal from Design Bundle for sharing this fun and informative tutorial with us! If you enjoyed this project, don’t forget to hit the Like button and Subscribe for more exciting content. Happy sublimating!
I Like to write and read on fashion, may be that’s why “Fashion says “me too” style says “only me”