Last Updated on November 26, 2023
Pot holders are a kitchen essential, and making your own adds a personal touch to your cooking space. In this quick and easy tutorial, we’ll guide you through the process of creating stylish and functional pot holders.
- Create personalized pot holders with just two fabric squares, a handle, and insulation materials.
- The addition of cotton batting and Insul-Bright ensures both functionality and a touch of flair to your kitchen essentials.
- Follow the simple folding, stitching, and turning process for a handmade pot holder in no time.
- Add your unique touch with decorative top stitching or experiment with different fabrics for a personalized look.
- Crafted pot holders make thoughtful and practical gifts for friends and family, adding a handmade touch to any kitchen.
How to Make Pot Holders
Create pot holders by sewing two 8-inch fabric squares with a layer of cotton batting or Insul-Bright. Add a 2×8 inch fabric strip as a handle, stitch, turn inside out, and top stitch for a personalized kitchen essential.
- Two pieces of fabric, each measuring 8 inches square
- Either 2 layers of cotton batting or 1 layer of cotton batting and Insul-Bright
- One piece of fabric measuring 2 inches by 8 inches for the handle
Step by Step Guide
With just a few materials and some basic sewing skills, you’ll have custom pot holders ready to handle the heat quickly.
1. Constructing the Handle
- Take your first fabric piece and lay it face up.
- Position the looped handle facing down, allowing a bit to hang off the edge.
- Place the second fabric piece face down on top.
- Layer with the chosen insulation materials: cotton batting and Insul-Bright (shiny side up).
- Pin the layers together, securing the loop first.
2. Sewing the Pot Holder
3. Finishing Touches
- Turn the pot holder right side out through the gap.
- Press all seams flat for a polished look.
- Trim excess batting and Insul-Bright.
- Fold the opening under by half an inch and press.
4. Final Top Stitch
- Sew a top stitch all the way around the pot holder, making sure to catch the folded opening.
- Feel free to add additional decorative stitching, such as cross stitches, lines, or meandering stitches.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully crafted a practical and attractive pot holder. Personalize it further by experimenting with different fabrics and stitching patterns.
These handmade pot holders not only add a touch of creativity to your kitchen but also make for thoughtful gifts for friends and family.
So, gather your materials, fire up the sewing machine, and enjoy the satisfaction of creating something both useful and beautiful.
I Like to write and read on fashion, may be that’s why “Fashion says “me too” style says “only me”