Last Updated on October 30, 2023
Greetings, sewing enthusiasts! In today’s tutorial, we’ll explore the creative worlds of fabric engraving and patchwork to make a gorgeous iPad case with a handy zipper pouch.
- Explore the world of fabric engraving using the xTool M1 machine to add unique and personalized designs to your iPad case.
- Learn how to create a stylish denim patchwork using 12 squares, enhancing the visual appeal of your case.
- Master a different method of installing a zipper, ensuring your iPad is securely enclosed while providing easy access.
- Craft a practical zipper pouch within the case, ideal for storing accessories, notes, or small essentials alongside your iPad.
Here, we will walk through the process of making a denim patchwork pouch while using a fascinating tool – the xTool M1 fabric engraving machine.
How to Sew an iPad Case with Zipper Pouch – Step by Step Guide
By combining creative design, precise stitching, and the right tools, you can craft a stylish and functional accessory for your iPad, ensuring both protection and fashion in one elegant package.
This innovative device opens up endless possibilities for adding unique designs to our fabric pieces.
Materials You’ll Need
- Denim fabric squares (12 pieces, 5 inches each)
- Batting squares (12 pieces, same size as fabric squares)
- Two fabric pieces (2.5 inches by 14 inches each)
- Two batting pieces (same size as fabric pieces)
- Zipper (approximately 29.5 inches long)
- Quilting cotton for lining
- xTool M1 fabric engraving machine
- Sewing machine for Denim
- Rotary cutter and cutting mat
- Clips or pins
- Iron and ironing board
- Zipper slider and zipper tab
- Basic sewing supplies (scissors, thread, etc.)
Step 1: Creating the Patchwork Design
Prepare Fabric and Batting
Cut out 12 denim squares and 12 batting squares using a rotary cutter and cutting mat.
Arrange the Patchwork
Arrange the denim squares in your desired pattern. Sew them together using a 1/4-inch seam allowance, back-tacking at the start and finish of each seam. Press the seams flat.
Utilize the xTool M1 fabric engraving machine to engrave unique designs onto your patchwork. Angela recommends running a test grid to determine the best settings for engraving.
Step 2: Assembling the Case
Attach the Zipper
Place the patchwork right side up. Align the zipper tape with the top edge of the patchwork, ensuring the right sides are together. Stitch the zipper in place using a regular presser foot, stitching close to the edge.
Cut out two pieces of lining fabric using the patchwork as a template. Sew them together, leaving a 3-inch opening for turning. Attach the lining to the zipper, ensuring the opening aligns with the zipper opening.
Create Zipper Tab
Cut a denim piece for the zipper tab. Fold and stitch it onto the zipper tape for a neat finish.
Finish the Pouch
Match the patchwork seams and lining seams. Pin and stitch around the pouch, leaving the bottom corners open. Trim excess fabric, turn the pouch right side out, and press it flat.
Add Zipper Slider
Slide the zipper slider onto the zipper tape, ensuring it opens and closes smoothly. Trim any excess tape for a clean finish.
Edge stitch the top of the pouch for added durability and a polished look.
And there you have it – a stunning iPad case with a zipper pouch, beautifully engraved with unique designs. Now, your iPad can travel in style and safety, nestled within your handmade masterpiece.