Last Updated on December 17, 2023
Using Sewing Machine for First Time might be complicated for a new sewer. Most beginners don’t have any idea of the proper using method of this machine. But it is not so problematic at all. You don’t need extra skill and experiences to get started with this tool.
Using Sewing Machine for First Time – Where Do You Start With?
It only requires little knowledge about the operation of the sewing device. By employing these ideas correctly, anyone can get impressive performance from his machine. We are going to describe the using process of a sewing machine for the first time here. Read these carefully and try to work according to this guide.
Functions of the Main Parts
First of all, you need to know the functions of the main parts of the machine.
- Needle: The needle of the machine is more significant and stronger than the needles used for hand sewing. It features a broader hole and situates under the presser foot.
- Thread guide: In a sewing-machine, a thread guide leads the thread in its desired direction. The direction can be any point, which lies within the spool and needle eye. It ensures the thread flow from the bobbin to the other places.
- Spool pin: It is useful to make the bobbin stable and provide thread-strand to the fabric.
- Bobbin winder: This part is responsible for winding yarn around a bobbin or spool. With this tool, winding has become so effortless. The thread-strand will stop as soon as it reaches the maximum capacity.
- Bobbin case: This container holds and protects the bobbin and offers smooth thread flow.
- Foot pedal: this accessory helps to control the speed of sewing depending on the thickness and type of the fabric.
- Presser feet: This attachment keeps the cloth or fabric flat while gliding through the needle of the machine. So the sewer gets extra support for quilting or stitching thicker fabric.
- Presser foot lifter: it is nothing but a lever, which enables the presser foot to raise and set down.
- Stitch length and width regulator: These regulators control measurements of the stitches
Sewing Techniques for Fist Time Sewers
Now you know the functions of the main components. Now follow these techniques:
- If you are using an electric sewing machine, plug the cord into the power supply.
- Most machines indicate on and off states with a light.
Understanding the Machine
- Read the instruction manual thoroughly to understand the working procedures.
- Locate the stitch adjustment knob on the machine’s right side.
- Choose a simple stitch type and medium length for starters.
- Adjust stitches by turning the knob while keeping the needle up to prevent movement.
Selecting Stitch Type:
- Start with the straight stitch, especially if you are a beginner.
- Experiment with other stitch options as you gain more experience.
- Set up the threads around the bobbin.
- Push a thread-strand through the thread holder to control it.
- Draw the thread in a circular motion and set the end section through your bobbin.
- Place the bobbin on the spindle for stability during sewing.
- Determine the thread length and cut the strand.
Loading the Bobbin:
- Supply the thread on the machine.
- Close the plate cover after placing the bobbin in its case.
Setting up the Needle:
- Turn the handle to set up the needle.
- This action allows the bobbin thread and needle to work together during sewing.
As you are inexperienced, don’t start with thick or new clothes. Don’t take heavy and thick fabric such as the denim because these are difficult to sew. Otherwise, you may ruin your new dress. So keep practicing with the scrap materials.
You May Also Like to Read