Last Updated on July 21, 2022
Using Sewing Machine for First Time might be complicated for a new sewer. Most beginners don’t have any idea of the proper using method of this machine. But it is not so problematic at all. You don’t need extra skill and experiences to get started with this tool.
Using Sewing Machine for First Time – Where Do You Start With?
It only requires little knowledge about the operation of the sewing device. By employing these ideas correctly, anyone can get impressive performance from his machine. We are going to describe the using process of a sewing machine for the first time here. Read these carefully and try to work according to this guide.
Functions of the Main Parts
First of all, you need to know the functions of the main parts of the machine.
- Needle: The needle of the machine is more significant and stronger than the needles used for hand sewing. It features a broader hole and situates under the presser foot.
- Thread guide: In a sewing-machine, a thread guide leads the thread in its desired direction. The direction can be any point, which lies within the spool and needle eye. It ensures the thread flow from the bobbin to the other places.
- Spool pin: It is useful to make the bobbin stable and provide thread-strand to the fabric.
- Bobbin winder: This part is responsible for winding yarn around a bobbin or spool. With this tool, winding has become so effortless. The thread-strand will stop as soon as it reaches the maximum capacity.
- Bobbin case: This container holds and protects the bobbin and offers smooth thread flow.
- Foot pedal: this accessory helps to control the speed of sewing depending on the thickness and type of the fabric.
- Presser feet: This attachment keeps the cloth or fabric flat while gliding through the needle of the machine. So the sewer gets extra support for quilting or stitching thicker fabric.
- Presser foot lifter: it is nothing but a lever, which enables the presser foot to raise and set down.
- Stitch length and width regulator: These regulators control measurements of the stitches
Sewing Techniques for Fist Time Sewers
Now you know the functions of the main components. Now follow these techniques:
- If you are using an electric sewing machine, plug the cord into the power supply. The majority of them indicate on and off states with a light.
- Please read the instruction manual well to learn its working procedures. Then choose a simple stitch type and medium length. The users can adjust the stitches by turning a knob.
- The knob locates at the machine’s right side. Adjust the stitch while keeping the needle up to prevent its movement. There are many stitch options, but the beginners should start with the straight stitch.
- Set up the threads around the bobbin. Push a thread-strand through the thread holder so that it will control the strand. Draw the thread in the circular motion and set the end section through your bobbin.
- Then place it on the spindle. The spindle will offer stability to the bobbin for setting up the thread during sewing. Determine the thread length and cut the strand.
- Now you have to supply the thread on the machine. Close the plate cover after placing the bobbin on its case. Turn the handle for setting up the needle. It will allow the bobbin thread and needle to work together.
As you are inexperienced, don’t start with thick or new clothes. Don’t take heavy and thick fabric such as the denim because these are difficult to sew. Otherwise, you may ruin your new dress. So keep practicing with the scrap materials.
You May Also Like to Read