Last Updated on December 3, 2019
Gone are the days we had sewing machines that used to work manually. Now sewing machines have many more features, can do much more, and are more complex as well. Especially in the case of electric sewing machines, the user needs to follow some steps to use it. Such machines work in a very different way. So, let us check out how we can use an electric sewing machine.
Know your sewing machine
To use a sewing machine first, you need to know about it. Its different parts, where they are located, and how to use them. So, sit in front of your machine, find the power button, bobbin winder, thread guides, spool pin.
Look for the needle clamp, pressure foot, stitch length adjustment, stitch selection dial, or button. Know every fine detail from the manual. Only after knowing about it, take the next step forward.
First, you have to load the bobbin, thread the machine, fit the bobbin, set up the needle and pressure feet, needle the thread, and more. So let’s have a quick glimpse of how to do it.
Place the thread on the spool pin. Then, bring it at the rear thread guide, then tension dial and finally take it through the bobbin. Set the bobbin on the bobbin winder. Start the machine and load the bobbin with thread.
Now, take the bobbin case and run the thread from the bobbin into the groove of the case. Your bobbin is ready to place in the shuttle. Ensure a snug fit.
Needle and Pressure Feet
Take the right-sized needle. Then, push the flat side into the needle clamp upwards. Next is to tighten it with the screwdriver. Same way, take your pressure foot. Tighten the screw to adjust the pressure foot tension. The correct tension will provide you with seamless sewing.
Thread The Machine
Your thread is already there in the spool pin. Take the thread through the top thread guide and all other thread guides. Run it through the tension dial. And then take it through the needle of the eye. Hold the thread with one hand.
Now, use the lever to raise and lower the needle for once. It will scoop out a loop from the bobbin. So you get the bottom thread. Keep both the thread away from the needle clamp.
Steps to follow
- Take the fabric you want to sew. A spare fabric is best as you do not know whether you have set it right or not. If you have the option for adjusting sewing length or stitch selection, do it right now.
- If not, then you can pull the pressure foot using the lever. Place the fabric right under it and lower it down. Lock it at the starting point, the point where you want to start stitching.
- Follow the guidelines marked on the metal plate to stitch straight. All this while you had your sewing machine turned off. Time for turning on the power button.
- When you reach the end and want to change the position of the fabric, turn the machine off. The needle has to be inside the fabric.
- You will find the power button at the right or rear side of the sewing machine. Use the foot pedal to control the stitch speed.
Sewing is easier said than done. Every machine is different. So, practice stitching as much as possible to master the skill.
You May Also Like to Read