Last Updated on August 9, 2022
Are you looking for What is Synthetic Fabric – Benefits, Advantages, and Disadvantages: The harm of synthetic clothing to the body can be significant, but artificial fabrics also have helpful properties. To decide whether you need them in your wardrobe or not, you should carefully study their pros and cons.
The History of Synthetic Fabric
Until the 50s of the 20th century, people used only natural fabrics, such as silk, linen, cotton, etc., in production. But in the 50s, technologies appeared that made it possible to produce acetate, viscose, and other fibers based on molten synthetic polymers, which impeded the development of an entire industry.
Until the 70s, artificial fibers were only partially an additive to replace natural ones. However, synthetic fabrics began to gain popularity with the growing popularity of nylon (it was economical to manufacture and very durable). Today they are widely used as independent and additional materials. New possibilities have also appeared, for example, sublimation (printing on fabric), thermal transfer to fabric, etc.
What is Synthetic Fabric, and What is It Made of?
Natural fabrics have come from plant materials – cotton, linen, and silk. Such clothes have numerous advantages but are very expensive.
On the other hand, synthetic things are made from petroleum products, gas, and coal. In its process of making polyamide, polyester, polyurethane, polyvinyl chloride, and other fabrics are obtained. Finished things have nothing in common with the raw materials, although they are made from the same material as plastic or polyethylene.
Attention! Synthetics are often used to make tracksuits, tights, raincoats, and windbreakers.
Types of Synthetic Fabrics:
- Polyamide: capron, nylon
- Polyurethane: nylon, lycra, spandex
- Polyvinyl alcohol: Kuralon, vinol
- Polyester: polyester
- Polyacrylonitrile: acrylic, nitro
- Polyolefin: Dyneema, spectrum
What Are the Benefits of Synthetic Fabrics?
The harm of synthetic underwear is widely known, but at the same time, artificial materials have numerous valuable properties:
- Clothes made from high-quality fabrics obtained by processing petroleum products are almost as good as natural ones in terms of properties. Many synthetic items are breathable, allow the body to breathe, have a pleasant softness, and do not irritate the skin.
- Unlike natural materials, artificial materials do not shrink or lose shape after washing. They practically do not wrinkle and do not require frequent ironing.
- Synthetic clothing comes in a wide variety of colors. Artificial fabrics are easy to dye and allow exciting patterns to be applied to things.
- Synthetics are highly durable – it is difficult to tear. It rubs a little on the folds.
- Clothes made of artificial materials are easy to wash from dirt. It dries quickly and is usually not afraid of fading in the sun. Synthetic materials rarely suffer from mold. Moths do not eat them, and bacteria also do not attack them.
The main advantage of artificial fabrics is their cheapness, especially in comparison with natural ones.
The Disadvantage of Synthetic Fabrics – is Synthetic Fabric Harmful?
Artificial fabrics have numerous advantages, but you must also take synthetics into account:
- Clothing made from a material obtained by processing petroleum products has a low water permeability. It poorly absorbs human sweat and moisture. Frequent wearing of synthetic items can lead to skin irritation and clogged pores.
- Artificial materials absorb unpleasant odors well. This disadvantage becomes especially noticeable in summer. After one walk down the street, synthetic clothes must be loaded into the wash to eliminate the smell of sweat.
- Since artificial fabrics do not allow the body to breathe, heat transfer processes are disturbed in the human body. In summer, it is boiling to walk in synthetic clothes, and in winter, it almost does not warm.
- Some artificial fabrics are highly electrified. In particular, such a disadvantage is typical for nylon and nylon. When the air humidity is low, synthetic clothing may crackle when put on and taken off, give a slight electric shock and spoil a neat hairstyle.
Some artificial materials are hypoallergenic, but others often cause skin irritation. If synthetics are of low quality, toxic substances may be present in their composition, which can also provoke itching and flaking of the epidermis.
Attention! Certain types of artificial fabrics tolerate temperature effects well. But synthetics often require washing at a temperature not exceeding 40 ° C.THESEWINGSTUFFS
Restrictions on wearing synthetic clothing
There are few restrictions when wearing clothes made of artificial fiber, and the synthetic fabric is not suitable for everyone. So we need to know the restrictions.
So, synthetics are not recommended:
- Allergy sufferers
- People with Asthma
- Pregnant women – People have psoriasis, eczema, and skin diseases.
Despite this, in most cases, you can wear synthetic clothing without health concerns. It needs to be washed frequently and thoroughly and alternated with clothes made from natural materials.
How to Choose the Right Synthetic Clothing
Synthetic clothing can be a good purchase if you choose it carefully. When buying things made of artificial fabric, you need to look not only at color, style, and size. There are other essential details to take into account:
Information on the label
If the clothes are to be worn directly on the body, you must ensure that the minimum amount of natural fibers in its composition is 70%. The proportion of pure synthetics should not exceed 30%. Otherwise, the item will be uncomfortable and even harmful to health.
Appearance of clothing
Before buying, you need to examine the thing for defects carefully- check the seams’ quality, analyze how evenly and reliably the paint is applied, and whether there are protruding threads and other defects.
You may abandon the purchase if a distinct chemical aroma comes from synthetics. An unpleasant odor indicates the presence of toxic substances in the composition of the material, and it will not be possible to get rid of them by washing.
Buying synthetic items is recommended for wearing in autumn or spring. In summer, it is better to prefer natural materials that remove moisture well and allow air to pass through.
Choosing clothes from well-known and reputable brands is recommended even when buying synthetics. It will cost a little more, but the quality of the artificial material will be high.
It is recommended to choose synthetics if you need to replenish your wardrobe with shirts, T-shirts, blouses, and dresses. In this case, the material will not harm the skin and will not provoke allergies. High-quality synthetics are indispensable when playing sports, provided they are removed from the body immediately after training and sent to the wash.
But socks, underwear, and pajamas are better bought from natural materials. Such wardrobe items are constantly and directly in contact with the body and must be of the highest quality.
Advice! You can buy fully synthetic items if we are talking about outerwear that does not come into direct contact with the skin.THESEWINGSTUFFS
Is It Easy to Sew Synthetic Fibers?
No, synthetic fabric, especially polyester, is not easy to sew. Although polyester is a widely used fabric worldwide, sewists face difficulty sewing them. However, sewing polyester with advanced machines is not that difficult nowadays.
What is the Best Sewing Machine for Sewing Synthetic Fiber?
Some best sewing machines for Synthetic Fiber are:
- Computerized Sewing Machines: Brother SE625 Combination – Computerized Sewing Machine
- Basic Sewing Machine: SINGER Confidence 7363 – Electronic Sewing Machine
- Mechanical Sewing Machine: SINGER Heavy Duty 4452 Sewing Machine
The harm of synthetic clothing is manifested when the quality of the artificial fabric is poor or when worn incorrectly. If you choose things from well-known brands and follow the rules for their use, the material will not provoke allergic reactions and will not worsen the condition of the skin.